Sunday, February 06, 2022

Thoughts from 1917 about a third major league

 

Here's another piece that I thought I'd stick here so I don't lose it.  I actually ran across it a while ago while working on making Omaha's Vinton Park. It's a piece from the Omaha Bee from...October 7th? 1917. At least I think that's right--there's no date on the top of the page, and the most recent articles on this page are dated October 6th.

In any case, there's a discussion about the way the war might affect the minor leagues in the coming 1918 season, which is of local interest since Omaha played in the Western League, and it wasn't clear if that league would survive and/or if the Omaha team would move up or down a level. 

What's of most interest to me here is that one of the drivers is what happens to the major leagues. There was some amount of intrigue going on with the American League in general at this point, which isn't mentioned in the article, but they claim in the article that Ban Johnson (president of the American League) thinks a third major league was on the way. The further claim, though not ascribed to Johnson, is that such a league would have teams in Providence, Baltimore, Toronto, Buffalo, Newark, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville. I've already got c. 1917 parks made for many of these cities, and Providence and Toronto were next on my list. So, I suppose I should hit Columbus after that... 

No comments: