Sunday, January 30, 2022

A few more thoughts about a few more team names

 

I figure I'll put this here so I don't forget about it.

I've changed the name of the Baltimore Terrapins to the Orioles (and even added a news story to the league news feed for it!), which has me thinking of other teams. I did run through this once before, including the possibility of renaming the Packers to be the Monarchs, which I'm now leaning more toward.  Perhaps at the time when the real Monarchs were formed in 1920?

I'm also still kicking around what to actually do with the Rustlers, driven for better or worse with what the team uniform situation is. In real life the team used neutral city name and/or "B" on their jerseys in 1915, then 1921-1924 before spending a few years with B on the home jerseys and "Braves" on the road ones. They then went back to full Boston/B from 1936-1944. At the pace I'm going it'll be a while before I need to worry about that, I suppose, but I have been thinking about alternate team names--there is potential for the Bruins, actually, since the founder of the NHL team owned the Braves a few years after founding the Bruins. Bears would be more obvious, except I'm saving that for Newark in case they stay. Bulldogs would be possible, but at another point the owner was the Harvard baseball and football coach, and he might not want the Yale mascot to be the name of the team. I'm also kicking around Shamrocks. But as 3-time World Series winners under the Rustlers name, they may not be changing it any time soon.

One other thing that I'll add here as an update--they could go with the Boston Rabbits as an homage to Rabbit Maranville, their very popular perennial All-Star and MVP candidate, who was the sparkplug of those three-time champions. It'd be consistent with some general practice at the time, even if it might just end up kicking the can down a bit (and I'd need to commission someone to make appropriate uniforms)...

No comments: