Saturday, January 29, 2022

1918: Halfway through Spring Training

 I thought I'd post a bit of an update. Spring Training got off to a little bit of a slow start due to ballpark making (as usual). San Diego continues to be the most glaring omissions from these tours since there's no suitable ballpark, which was also true in real life. They used City/Balboa Stadium for barnstorming tours, which suffers from very short foul lines. So, I'm going to keep putting off visits to San Diego.  I did build Maier Stadium in Vernon, and learned about the bizarre history of that location, though, and brought the Spring Training Tour through there. I also built parks in Dallas and Charlotte, and will have the Yankees end Spring Training in New Haven, another new one.

The Yankees started ST well, but have been scuffling of late. I'm hoping it's because I'm going with a very extended rotation so some pitchers are only now getting a second start after 18 games or so, and the pitchers are still rusty. The offense has also been a bit streaky, which of course has been a bit of a long-term issue anyhow. While the Yankees are at 10-8 along with a lot of other teams, the Red Sox are something like 14-4, which is somewhat ominous. Babe Ruth has been on fire this spring, perhaps presaging a monster season (also ominous). 


No comments: