Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Quick Check-In

 

The Cloverland League is skittering to its finish. I realized that I could check the "predicted standings" which indeed suggested that the runs scored were going to be through the roof and some of the other completely bananas aspects of things. The '98 Yankees have been steadily sinking, and Cleveland has won that division. I've been letting games autoplay once I realized things were set poorly.  I'll see this through, then re-assess.

Alt-1915 has been on hold, though for a reasonably positive reason--I've been making ballparks. With the pandemic going on and everything, I downloaded Sketchup about a month ago and have been messing around with it. Since I'd like the teams to play in these parks in Alt-1916, I've been holding off on the culmination of the 1915 season: the World Series to be played between the Chicago White Sox and the defending champion Boston Rustlers. 

I made ballparks for the four teams I mentioned in the last post, though not necessarily the ballparks that I mentioned. This was driven in part by the documentation that was available, and in part by the timing of things. I made Terrapin Park (aka Oriole Park (V)) first, since there was plenty of material on it and I knew the team would stay there for a while. I just finished Gordon and Koppel Field, which didn't have much documentation but had enough that I felt like I could get close. In real life, Buffalo played at a field for which I had basically no information so I modeled Olympic Park (II) instead, under the rationale that if they became a National League team they'd be able to kick the minor league team out of Olympic Park, which was the best field in town (and what will become Offermann Stadium in the early 20's). Finally, I kept waffling on Newark's ballpark--the real team played in Harrison Park because they couldn't get Wiedenmayer's Park. When the Peppers folded, the minor league team moved to Harrison Park for a year or two, but moved back to Wiedenmayer's Park after that, and the claim was that Newark fans didn't want to go to Harrison to see a game. In the end, that was how I rationalized putting the Peppers in Wiedenmayer's Park but again the available documentation about the park was what swung it.   These ballparks should hold these teams for a few years, though I expect all but Baltimore to move/upgrade in the early 20's: Buffalo and Newark's parks will upgrade in place, and Kansas City will move to Muehlebach Park. 


No comments: