Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Alt-1921: Forty games (or so) to go!

 

Since we last checked in, the Yankees' relentless pursuit of Philadelphia has turned into the Athletics' dogged attempt to stay close to New York. The Yankees went 8-1 in the period between my last post and the All-Star Game, including a 2-game sweep of Boston and a series win against the Athletics just before the All-Star Break. That series win left Philadelphia and New York tied, and the All-Star Game found a shorthanded AL deliver a walk-off win to the sellout crowd at Griffith Stadium, as Ty Cobb doubled in Newark's Charlie Hollocher. 

The Bombers have been as far as 1.5 games behind the Athletics since then, but have mostly been in first place (as much as 3 games, currently 2). They sit at 77-44 currently, so have had a 28-12 stretch. That's .700, which is what they were able to do across all of 1920. So, maybe this is sustainable? On the other hand, they've lost to some bad teams when they have lost in this stretch: For instance, they're only 2-3 against the last-place Browns. One quick thought I'll stick here--I think I'm getting penalized (inadvertently) by picking up Negro League players like Blackwell, Moore, and Brown early (and Cannonball Redding, back in the day):  Their stats are treated as AAA or AA stats, so they're not as good players as they should be. Charleston and Rogan are also not as good as they should be, but are so good that they're still standouts. The Negro League players coming into Alt-1921 have their stats treated as MLB, so they're getting boosts relative to the others. That'll eventually even out as more and more new Black ballplayers show up and older ones retire, but for now I think it gives a lot of other teams a boost relative to the Yankees...

The big off-field news is probably the Frank Allen for Dolph Luque trade pulled off at the deadline. I'd had my eye on Luque earlier in the season, but he was dealt to the Spiders before I had decided what to do (and that, in turn, cemented my decision to trade for Rixey).  Allen was exceedingly shaky as our closer, there was no reasonable way to have him supplant someone in the rotation, and while he was only 32 his actual career had ended years earlier so I felt he was on borrowed time (or past it). I don't think missing Allen will mean missing the pennant, and I think having Luque will make 1922-1924 much better for the Yanks. I still definitely have a pitching logjam, which was not necessarily improved by a different trade I swung with Boston to get Mogridge back. 

I'll stick the standings below, I'll note that in the NL the Robins have dropped out of first place (which they've held much of the year) and the Rustlers have stepped up. They're both pretty close, so the race certainly isn't over yet. The Giants are in 3rd, but are are enough back that they're probably not going to be a factor.


Stats-wise, it's another battle between Cobb and Heilmann for the batting title, both have been near .410-.415 for a while.  Cobb was hurt and while he could have played I kept him out of the lineup just in case. He should get enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title, barring another injury. Heilmann has been a workhorse and is on pace for 150 or so RBI.  Nevertheless, I expect Ruth to win the MVP again and to set the home run record again.  I'm not sure he'll reach 50, though. He also might not hold the record at the end of the year--Torriente is only two behind him...

No comments: