Sunday, May 09, 2021

Alt-1916: What's left until 1917?

 

As seems typical, here's a post that I'm thinking will be short and only of personal interest and will probably end up somewhat long (and only of personal interest). Though the World Series is over (and congratulations to the Rustlers!), I've inserted a bit more baseball action before 1917's Spring Training starts because I apparently can't leave well enough alone (and as a way to learn how to use some other parts of OOTP).

First, I scheduled some exhibition games as post-season "City Series" or "State Series" sorts of things. I gave home field to whichever team had the better 1916 record unless I had some other reason, which included "I think it'd be cooler for the Yankees to play at Ebbets Field than the Polo Grounds".  Looking to the future I'm considering a NYC-area round robin and/or a Great Lakes Series, that sort of thing. 

And then I started thinking about the parks I'm making and the 1917 Spring Training I'm imagining: For 1916, teams started in Havana and then moved through Tampa, New Orleans, Hot Springs, Louisville, and Indianapolis playing games until the season started. This year I'm planning a tour starting in San Francisco and making the way back east. But that leaves a few parks I've made still unused--Durkee Park in Jacksonville and Gimnasio Escolar in Santo Domingo. And then I started thinking about Winter Leagues and ran across how an Arizona Fall League-type setup was a template that was included. 

So, I set up a six-team league with a Florida division and a Cuba/DR division. Two of the teams are in Havana. I need to make sure it'll work right, but this strikes me as a way to get some development time for young players and also have a bit more fun in-world. In principle this could also be a fun way to have teams in some other random spots. In the future, I could see putting in a couple more teams--maybe Orlando, maybe Mobile, not sure about another non-US team but I can look at what the historic teams are (maybe the Estrellas Orientales? or the Santa Clara Leopards?).


No comments: